Print Page Heaven's Eye Photography Blog: Change

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Change

Why is it that we all fear change so much? Why is it that we all know that eating healthier and being conscious of stress is the best medicine and yet we choose to put them both on the list to do later? Let me make one thing very clear here before I get into my changes. I used to always say that I was an All-American girl when asked what my diet is like. I am a steak and potatoes kind of girl and I love convenience. I have eaten fast food for days in a row before and liked it:) Eating healthier was always on my list of thing to do, but I never even knew where to start. Why would I by the way, if I was feeling healthy? Even when I was told that the boys have certain allergies to some foods, I said that I would rather deal with the rashes and medicate the symptoms rather then change their diet...cause that would mean we would all have to change our diet. With all that being said....I still didn't think it was possible when I was diagnosed to change my lifestyle. My awakening came when I read the Swank book, decided against the shots, met Minda Coombs, worked with Herman Johnson and started thinking about the future of my own kids. O.K. so God had to give me a lot of tools to encourage me and he hit me over the head quite a few times before I would listen, but I am finally here and I'm not as scared anymore:) I have been doign the Swank Diet for 3 weeks and I haven't journaled the process yet because I am taking more food out than putting food in but I am getting there. The kids are doing amazing and willing to try new things....so there goes my biggest excuse "that I can't change our diet becuase it's too hard to change the kids". I feel like an idiot now, because they only have a few years of programming (by me and Jake) verses my 34 years of programing and being in my safe box. They haven't linked MS to being hereditary or some other diseases for that matter and yet my kids chances are greater now that I have it....which leads me back to the notion that it is our lifestyles that are hereditary and we are passing our bad habits onto our kids. This is why I am driven. This is why this disease will never catch up to me. I am not fearing change anymore becuase I am in the thick of change and I can see the good. I will pass on the tools for my kids to outrun disease as well. I can give them that....we can give our kids at least that. The beauty of my MS is that I have an internal alarm to tell me when I am not giving the best to my kids and when we are doing too much....that's a pretty amazing gift. Tackle a fear next week. Face it head on and you will see that it is only you holding yourself back.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sending lots of love your way Kathy, your strength is inspiring :)

love, Michelle

The Thomas Crew said...

You are one tough cookie. Always have and always will be. I love your upbeat attitude to life and all that it entails. I think that a postive attitude like yours will do wonders. You are an amazing woman and I am so glad that we have gotten back in touch. Lots of love to you.
Deb

Shyla said...

Im coming home next week and all I can think about is hugging your beautiful face!! :)

Lynn Cornberg said...

Save your Christmas money and come eat some organic food with me in Taipei this spring. Your words and actions to change your lifestyle are admired.