Print Page Heaven's Eye Photography Blog: Artists

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Artists


Shannon was reading a book, 'Why People Photograph', and I love this quote from it.
"Artists sometimes claim that they work without the thought of an audience - that they make pictures just for themselves. We are not deceived. They only reward worth that much effort is a response, and if no one pays attention, or if the artist cannot live on hope, then he or she is lost."
This is so true. I think that is why it is so hard for artists to charge for their talent. I do what I do because I crave it....and along the way I learned that I was good at it. At first I thought I was good at it because people would tell me. Now I know I am good at it because I feel it and I see it in my growth. I tell others to charge for their time and take the emotion out of the business....if they are paying you, then they like your work. If you are giving everything away for free or discounted then you really crave and need the feedback from your subject. Even though I now get paid for my work the biggest reward is to see the tears during the viewing of a slideshow, or a special note that says I am a superstar! I 'hope' that I am able to continue to touch people's lives with photographs, but the only way I know for sure that I have succeeded is from their response. I don't think it is possible for me to take the emotion out of any aspect of this career. So to all you photographers reading this that I consider friends and colleagues....read this affirmation next time you put way too many hours into a session and you just don't get that response that you need.
"I think you're amazing, all of you and I continue to learn from you daily. All of your shoots reflect passion, emotions, talent, and they take you that much more closer to that rockstar level we are all trying to achieve. Keep up the good work and have confidence in your talent!

Here's two more of my favorite photographers that I caught in action. This has to be when I see them the happiest. Can't you just see the passion and happiness in their eyes.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dang girl! Nice, uhhh, lens? :) Great post. Really needs to go in your syllabus ;)