Print Page Heaven's Eye Photography Blog: Lil' Man

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Lil' Man

I know that we are past the whole "back to school" thing....but this one is about more than that. This is my baby. Yes, I cried because this is his first year of school because that's just what I do...but they are tears of sheer proudness. Jalena went in with him just like she did for Tré the first day that he walked into the same school and breathed confidence into him. He walked into that school as my little toddler and he came out of there literally looking different to me. I wasn't thinking about anything before he walked out besides the fact that I missed him and I wondered if he would hug me. Well, as I saw him standing in his first line, emotions overcame me and the tears came out without my permission. He walked out of there as a Little Boy...my Lil' man. I called my mom right after my big day and she said that she still remembers "first days" like they were yesterday. She can smell the day and feels all the emotions that overcame her 7 times over...wait 7 kids and about a million "first days":) 33 years later, I am still on my Independant journey with all the tools that her and Dad equipped me with. They are with me everyday and I pray that Jake and I are giving our kids the same gift.

This picture is profound to me. I will remember this day because of this this picture below...this one moment when he turned around, looked me straight into my eyes (lens) and then he was off onto his own path for his first journey of independence. Life is good isn't it. I think I am extra sentimental today because it September 11th. I remember.....I feel....we are blessed...I love!

6 comments:

Shannon Sewell said...

:( this makes me sad. why do they have to get so big so fast? i'm STILL choking up walking out of the school each morning and what are we? day four?? i suck at this growing up stuff... tell him shamone said he sure looked like a hansome little devil his first day of school ;)

~S

Elle J said...

Love the photos! I not only cried sending my two off to Kdg, but I cried the first day of 1st grade ... at the end of the day ... when I finally saw their face after being apart for 6.5 hours. "We made it" relief tears. Still tugs when I see them walking down the school sidewalk to class; "all grown up" and know where they are headed. I enjoy reading your writing and thoughts.

Unknown said...

lil' man aka 40 year old man...why cry? He's 40 remember? it's about time you let him go to school! Our kid at 14 was growing so fast and the lines were swallowing her so we are now unschooling and she sees me off to school. love the shots...teta

Lynn Cornberg said...

joshua? sorry still learning this blogger stuff. That's me aka joshua
L.

Kaiyuh Rose said...

Hey Teta Cathy!
These are adorable and wonderful pictures. Tre, Jalena , and Jamie look so big and mature. Tell them to have as much fun as they can at school, tell them not to take too long at the drinking fountain if they don't want to get their backs slapped (that has happened to me!), and tell them that I love and miss them.
With Love,
Kaiyuh

Anonymous said...

What a great post Kathy - you have such a way with words...I started to get emotional and I've never met your little man. I guess it's because I can so relate to your post, your feelings and emotions about your children growing up {I know...mine are only 3 and 5} but still. Love this post and love coming to your blog :)